The safety warnings below pertain to all unprotected lithium ion cells (the/this battery). The most common cause of a battery-related fire is a SHORT CIRCUIT.
What is a short circuit? The situation arises when battery positive (+) and negative (-) directly connect. The current will become extremely high because there is no resistance in the path to limit current flow. A short circuit will result in dangerously high temperature which may cause a fire resulting in personal injury, property damage or death.
While the top cap is the positive pole, the ENTIRE BODY of a cylindrical lithium ion battery is the negative ground pole. ALWAYS keep the protective PVC shrink wrap and top cap insulator in PERFECT condition. DO NOT use the battery if these parts are damaged in any way or if the cell body is dented, deformed, leaking, or damaged in any way.
Keep lithium ion batteries AWAY from metal objects. DO NOT store lithium ion batteries loose or on your person, in a pocket, purse, backpack, etc without a protective box or case. ALWAYS store lithium ion batteries in the box or case in which the batteries were delivered.
If your skin or eyes have come into contact with battery electrolyte, flush with water and seek immediate emergency medical care!
Use caution as misusing or mishandling the battery may cause a FIRE or EXPLOSION which may result in personal injury, property damage, or death. The user must have an appropriate understanding of the potential dangers of LITHIUM ION BATTERIES before purchase and usage. No express or implied guarantee of compatibility, suitability, or fitness for any particular purpose or device can be made. This battery is manufactured and sold for the intended use of system integrations with proper protection circuitry or battery packs with a BMS (battery management system) or PCB (circuit board/module). This battery is neither designed nor intended to be used with an E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, or similar device and MUST NOT be used with such devices due to RISK OF FIRE or EXPLOSION. If purchasing this battery for resale purposes, you MUST forward ALL warnings to ALL customers for their reference and safety!
- DO NOT USE WITH E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, OR SIMILAR DEVICE
- BATTERY IS ONLY FOR USE IN PROTECTED BATTERY PACKS
- ONLY ASSEMBLE A BATTERY PACK IF YOU ARE COMPETENT IN DOING SO
- DO NOT STORE BATTERY/CELL LOOSE OR IN A POCKET, PURSE, ETC. ALWAYS USE A PROTECTIVE CASE OR BOX FOR STORAGE AND TRANSPORT
- WHEN NOT IN USE, ALWAYS STORE LITHIUM ION BATTERIES IN THE PROTECTIVE CASE/BOX IN WHICH BATTERIES WERE DELIVERED
- Misusing or mishandling lithium ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR DEATH
- BATTERIES MAY EXPLODE, BURN, OR CAUSE A FIRE IF MISUSED OR MISHANDLED
- Usage of batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK!
- ONLY use with proper protection circuitry
- DO NOT short circuit intentionally or unintentionally
- KEEP AWAY from metal/conductive objects to prevent short circuiting
- DO NOT use if PVC wrapper or terminal insulator is damaged or torn
- DO NOT use if battery is damaged in any way
- DO NOT over-charge or charge above the maximum voltage rating
- DO NOT over-discharge or exceed the continuous discharge rating
- DO NOT modify, disassemble, puncture, cut, crush, or incinerate
- DO NOT expose to liquids or high temperatures
- DO NOT solder onto battery, spot weld only
- DO NOT use force to install or install in reverse/backwards
- ONLY use within manufacturer’s specification
- KEEP AWAY from pets and children
- ALWAYS charge in or on a fire-proof surface and never leave batteries charging unattended
- ONLY use a smart charger designed for this specific type of battery
- DO NOT mix and match brands and models, old and new, used and unused batteries
- STOP immediately if while charging/storing/using the battery it emits an unusual smell, feels hot, changes color or shape, or appears abnormal in any way
- It is your responsibility to determine that your charger or device is functioning properly
- If exposed to battery electrolyte, flush with water immediately and/or immediately contact a physician or emergency services
- DO NOT throw away in trash; contact your local jurisdiction for proper recycling or disposal
- Resellers MUST forward ALL warnings to ALL customers for their reference and safety
*** Several manufacturer specification datasheets have additional warnings. Please click the datasheet link in the item description to read the specifications and warnings.
Manufacturer and Battery Industry Warning Links:
Manufacturer and Battery Industry warnings for using lithium-ion batteries in e-cigarette or vaping devices can be viewed here - Be-CigaretteSafe.org
Before handling and/or using a Samsung SDI lithium-ion battery, please read: Samsung SDI's "Charging, Use and Handling of Small-Sized Lithium-ion Batteries".
To ask if a Samsung SDI Lithium-ion Battery cell may be used in a particular product, please submit your questions here.
Panasonic & Sanyo safety warning - Panasonic Safety Warnings & Precautions
Sony warning for e-cigs, vape pens, and li-ion batteries - Sony Safety Warning
Murata safety warnings - Murata Warning
Hohm Tech battery safety warning - Hohm Tech Safety Guide
Lithium Ion Battery Shipping Resources:
USPS packing instructions for lithium cells: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_032.htm
US DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Association: https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/
International Air Transport Association: http://www.iata.org/Pages/default.aspx